Fried Bologna Sandwich
- 2 Tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon dill pickles, finely chopped plus 2 Tablespoons brine
- Freshly ground pepper
- 7 ounces bologna, thinly sliced
- 4 slices seeded rye bread
- 2 iceberg lettuce leaves
- Mix mustard, mayonnaise, and chopped pickles in a small bowl to combine; season with pepper.
- Arrange half of bologna slices in a neat stack. Starting near the center and working toward the edges of the stack, cut four 1”-long slits, spacing evenly. Repeat with remaining bologna.
- Heat a dry large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high. Working in batches, arrange bologna slices in a single layer in skillet and cook until browned all over and crisp, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate as they are done. Save skillet with any fat.
- Arrange bread in a single layer in reserved skillet and cook over medium-high until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board.
- To build sandwiches, spread mustard mixture evenly over each slice of bread. Divide bologna between 2 slices and top with lettuce; drizzle with pickle brine. Close up sandwiches and cut in half.