Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake
- 1 ¾ cups boiling water
- 1 cup uncooked oatmeal quick or old-fashioned kind
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup margarine or butter
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups unsifted flour see notes
- 1 teaspoon soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate bits
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- Pour boiling water over oatmeal. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Add brown and white sugar and margarine/butter. Stir until margarine/butter melts.
- Add eggs. Mix well.
- Sift together flour, soda, salt and cocoa. Add flour to sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Add about half of the package of chocolate bits.
- Pour batter into greased and floured pan (9×13 inches).
- Sprinkle walnuts and remaining chocolate bits on top.
- Bake in oven preheated to 350 degrees about 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.