Multigrain Lemon Blueberry Scone
- 1 cup all-purpose flour spooned and leveled
- 1 cup whole wheat flour spooned and leveled
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon zest about 1 lemon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted frozen
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk plus some for brushing
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries do not thaw if frozen
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice about 1/2 large lemon
- Wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds.
- Whisk flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Grate the frozen butter and add it to the flour mixture. Combine with a pastry cutter, two forks, or your fingers until the mixture comes together in pea-sized crumbs. Place in the refrigerator or freezer as you mix the wet ingredients together.
- Whisk 1/2 cup milk, the egg, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl. Drizzle over the flour mixture, add the blueberries, then mix together until everything appears moistened.
- Do not taste or eat any raw dough or batter made with uncooked flour and/or raw eggs.
- Brush scones with remaining milk.
- Place scones on a plate and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. After refrigerating, arrange scones 2-3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet(s).
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and lightly browned on top. Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes before topping with lemon icing.
- Whisk the icing ingredients together. Drizzle over warm scones.
- Leftover iced or un-iced scones keep well in the refrigerator for 5 days.