- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp salt divided in half
- 2 large bell peppers
- 1 large yellow onion 1/2 sliced, 1/2 diced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil olive oil, or canola oil works
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 2 medium limes sliced into wedges
- 12 medium whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Place chicken breasts in a gallon size plastic bag and, using a meat tenderizer, pound the chicken breasts until they are thin.
- Sprinkle ⅛ tsp of salt over each chicken breast. Place them in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, slice bell peppers and onions. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine chili, cumin, garlic, onion, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne. Mix, then set seasoning aside.
- In another bowl, combine diced onions and chopped cilantro. Mix and place in fridge.
- After thirty minutes, get chicken out of fridge and pat it dry. Preheat your skillet over medium heat.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with ⅔ of the seasoning mix.
- Add oil to skillet, then add chicken breasts. Cook one side for 8 minutes, then other side for 4 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. (The chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.)
- Take a paper towel and wipe off most of grease from skillet. Leave just a bit of oil on skillet to cook vegetables.
- Return skillet to stove, add onions, and cook for about 10 minutes.
- While onions cook, slice chicken breasts into cubes. Set aside.
- Once onions start to caramelize, add bell peppers and rest of seasoning mix, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- While fajita veggies continue to cook, warm up tortillas if desired in a separate skillet. Set aside.
- When veggies are cooked, turn off heat and begin assembling fajitas. In tortillas, add a layer of chicken, fajita veggies, and onion/cilantro mix. Add a squeeze of lime over fajitas before eating.