Private Applicator Licensing

Individuals who apply Restricted Use Pesticides (RUP’s) must be certified to do so under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticides Act (FIFRA) and the Wyoming Environmental Pesticide Control Act of 1973. Amendments to FIFRA require that applicators be continually re-certified. Training is conducted by the University of Wyoming Extension. Licensing is conferred by the Wyoming Department of Agriculture (WDA), which enforces FIFRA and the state act (statutes) in Wyoming.

A Private Pesticide Applicator is an individual eighteen (18) years of age or older who is licensed to apply or supervise the application of RESTRICTED USE PESTICIDES to their own properties, either owned or leased, or who may apply restricted use pesticides for other individuals on their properties, owned or leased either for no charge, or as an exchange of services, but not for pay, in the production of an agricultural commodity. Applicator classification is not related to either the amount of pesticides applied, or to the amount of acreage treated.

Application Fees
There are no licensing fees for Private Applicators.


Due to the social distancing requirements related to the attempts to limit Corona virus outbreak, Private Applicators can obtain their Applicators License via one of the following options:

  1. Self Study and Take Home Work Book. (PREFERRED)
  2. Self Study and Proctored Exam. (County Extension office may be closed)
  3. Complete a UW Extension Pesticide Safety Education Program (PSEP) This option is suspended until further notice.

Option 1.  Self Study and Take Home Work Book

Steps to complete your license application:

  1. Download or Print the Core Manual
  2. Print the Private Applicator Workbook
  3. Print the Private Applicator License Application
  4. Read the Core manual
  5. Complete the take home workbook by writing your answers to the questions in the workbook.
  6. Completely fill out the Private Applicator License Application
  7. Mail the a) Completed Take Home Work book and b) the Private Applicator License Application to the

Wyoming Department of Agriculture

Technical Services Division
2219 Carey Ave.
Cheyenne, WY 82002

OR 8. Electronically Scan and email the a) Completed Take Home Work book and b) the Private Applicator License Application to the Wyoming Department of Agriculture at

Option 2.  Self Study and Proctored Exam (County Extension Offices may be closed)

The training materials consist of these documents:

  • Wyoming Pesticide Applicator Certification CORE manual (required).  This document can be checked out from your local UW Extension Office; Your Local County Library; Or it can be ordered from UW Ag Communications (instructions below).
  • UW Bulletins for Commercial and Private Applicator Training (recommended, not required). This document can be checked out from your local UW Extension Office; Your local County Library; Or it can be ordered from UW Ag Communications

Steps to become certified a) Acquire and read the documents listed above; b) Contact your local UW Extension office and make an appointment to take the exam; c) Must past the exam with 70% or better; d) Complete the WDA Private Applicator License Application; e) Allow UW Extension representative to photocopy your drivers license; f) UW Extension will forward your application and drivers license information to the Wyoming Department of Agriculture.

The electronic Private Applicator EXAM is only available through your local UW Extension Office.  It must be completed under the supervision of a UW proctor.  The Exam is 50 questions, closed book, no electronic devices allowed (including cell phones).  Upon confirmation of passing exam by choosing this option you will be issued a temporary license that will be accepted to purchase RUP’s immediately.

Option 3. (Suspended until further Notice) Complete a UW Extension Pesticide Safety Education Program (PSEP)

Steps to become certified a) Attend a local Pesticide Safety Education Program for Private Applicators session conducted by UW Extension; b) Complete the WDA Private Applicator License Application; c) UW Extension will forward the application to the WDA.

Private Applicator Training Program will consist of the following:
A minimum of two (2) hours of training is required to certify Wyoming private applicators. The training session format is as follows:

  1. A verbal review of the certification requirements for Wyoming private pesticide applicators.
  2. A verbal review of pesticide laws and regulations.
  3. Education programming on the use of pesticides which should include safety, handling, groundwater contamination, misuse, public concerns, and disposal.
  4. Educational programming on the proper use of pesticide equipment and calibration.

The balance of the  educational program session is comprised of presentations developed by the Pesticide Applicator Training Coordinator. Electives may include such items as weed, insect or disease control and could include presentations by specialists in the pesticide business such as Extension personnel, Weed & Pest Supervisors, or others involved with pesticides.

No exam.  It will take at least two weeks to receive your license.  You will not be able to purchase RUP’s until you receive your license.

How Do I Get the Required Training Documents Mentioned Above?




There will be a deposit required at check out.  The deposit will be returned to you when the Wyoming Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Manual is returned to the Extension Office. If the manual and statutes are not returned prior to 30 days your deposit will be used to order replacements.


Print versions of the Wyoming Pesticide Applicator Certification Core Manual; and the supplemental resource manual MP124 are available from UW Ag Communications and Technology. Print this Order Form, mail the completed form along with a check payable to UW Extension PSEP to the address listed on the form.  We ask for $10.00 per manual to cover shipping. Or call (307) 766-2115 to order.


When Must I Be Re-certified?

Private applicator re-certification runs in five (5) year blocks of time and the license expires on April 30 after the fourth year of issue (for example, If you license is issued on October 15, 2015 it will expire on April 30, 2020). Your local Extension Educator can help you determine if your license has expired.

How Do I Become Re-certified?

When your license expires you will be required to complete one of the options under Licensing (above).

Most private applicators choose to attend the training session. Contact your UW Extension Office for more details on re-certification and training opportunities.

Reciprocal Licensing

Licensed private applicators from other states are not allowed a reciprocal license in Wyoming.  A Wyoming Private applicators license is not valid in any other state.