Welcome to Wyoming Ranch Tools
Designed and Maintained by Bridger Feuz
University of Wyoming – Livestock Marketing Specialist/Area Educator
The goal of this site is to provide usable tools to help ranchers (both large and small) be able to make better decisions, leading to sustainable operations. Each tool is accompanied with a fact sheet and instructions on utilizing the tool. If you don’t see the tool you need here contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and let me know what you would like to have added.
- Partial Budget – Use the partial budget tool to help make decisions such as; Should I sell calves or yearlings? Should I retain ownership on my heifers? What should I do with my cull cows? Should I buy hay or put up my own?
- Break-Even Budget – Use the Break-Even Budget tool to help make market timing decisions for selling livestock.
- NPV Tool – Use the Net Present Value (NPV) tool to make decisions when a significant capital investment is needed. The NPV tool also contains an EconoRange version which helps in making decisions on range and pasture improvement projects.
- Cow Valuation – This tool is designed to estimate the current value of a cow based on a projected number of calves. It can be used for all breeding age cows from heifers to short term cows. The tool was adapted from a spreadsheet developed by John Ritten, Steve Paisley and Brian Lee.
- Genetic Investment – The Genetic Investment tool provides break-even values to aid in the bull buying decision process.
- Stocking Tool – Designed for the small 1-30 acre rancher, but appropriate for ranches of any size, this tool calculates the amount of available forage in a pasture and compares that to your animals’ needs.
- AUM Value Tool – Use this tool to calculate a base value of an AUM for leasing arrangements.
- Sprayer Calibration – Use this tool in combination with the 1/128 method of calibration to accurately adjust your sprayers for ideal weed control.
University of Wyoming Extension
email@example.com – 307-783-0570