Individuals who apply restricted-use pesticides must be certified to do so under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticides Act (FIFRA) and the Wyoming Environmental Pesticide Control Act of 1973. Amendments to FIFRA require that applicators be continually recertified. Training is conducted by the University of Wyoming Extension. Licensing is conferred by the Wyoming Department of Agriculture (WDA), which enforces FIFRA and the state act in Wyoming.
A Commercial Pesticide Applicator is a person sixteen (16) years of age or older who applies or supervises the application of any pesticide by other individuals, on property other than their own, for contract or hire. Commercial applicators are certified in one or more categories and may use pesticides only in the category(s) for which they are certified.
The annual commercial training is designed for NEW applicators however, those seeking re-certification credits can also attend (24 CEU’s are available). This is a 3.5 day course with training in pesticide labels and terminology, pesticide and farm worker safety, pesticide laws and regulations, pesticide toxicity, groundwater quality, pesticide formulations, plant pathology, weed science, entomology, small animal control, and calibration. A ½ day extra is allowed for exams. The course uses instructors from the University of Wyoming, EPA, Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality, and WDA. This course is usually held the second week in December at the University of Wyoming, College of Agriculture. See the home page of this website for registration details.
Training and Recertification Fees
A registration fee is charged for the initial commercial applicator training session and for the commercial applicator recertification training session.
The commercial license application fee is $25.00 and is due upon application for a commercial license. There is no application fee for government employees.
Commercial licenses are only valid for the balance of the year in which the license was obtained plus 24 months and expire on January 31st.
- 24 hours of pesticide related courses or workshop online credits obtained during the time in which the license is valid. These credit hours must be validated
with an agenda and proof of attendance. The Department determines is the coursework applies toward re-certification.
- On-line credit is available via Washington State University
- All on-line credit MUST be pre-approved by Hank Uhden at email@example.com or (307) 777-7321.
- Other approved on-line courses: Bedbug Control Program $19.99 for three 30-minute modules.
- Attendance at the Commercial Applicator Re-certification School held during January in Casper of each year.
- Re-take the exams for the categories in which you want to be re-certified.
There is a $25.00 application renewal fee due when application for recertification is submitted. There is no application fee for government employees.
Please contact Hank Uhden at (307) 777-7321, if you have questions.
- Mandatory: Letter of verification from the respective state department of agriculture FROM THE STATE IN WHICH YOU RESIDE. The letter should state that you are a licensed applicator in good standing with their agency and the categories in which you are licensed in.
Wyoming Department of Agriculture
2219 Carey Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Please be sure we are also supplied with your primary mailing address.
- WDA Pesticide Applicator Application
- Power of Attorney Form Note, this form must be notarized
- Any other forms, notices or information you may need
- $25.00 Application Fee (Government employees are exempt from the application fee)
- A legible copy (front and back) of your currently held pesticide applicators license from the state in which you reside.
Please contact Hank Uhden at (307) 777-7321, if you have any questions.